Pages

Monday, August 25, 2014

Sew Geeky: Marvel vs. DC

Hello guys! I am super excited today, not only am I sharing my 100th post but it is also my first Sew Geeky post. Sew Geeky is a monthly sewing series hosted by Kat of Sew Chibi and Ari of Max California , and just like it sounds it's a showcase for sewing all things geeky! This month is Marvel vs. DC and I  thought long and hard about what I wanted to sew. My mind kept racing with ideas, until I decided that I just  had to do two outfits- I mean, Cordelia has two different personalities, so I just had to cover characters that summed up both sides of her!

Some days my Miss C is a total sweetie, nice, kind, pure, good, always trying to be perfect and awesome. Just like Supergirl- cause we all know that Supergirl wants to live up to being super, like her cousin Superman. She is my best friend Patrick's favorite superhero because she is a good egg who tries- even though she doesn't have to. He likes that she is kinda normal, she makes mistakes and people take her for granted, but she keeps trying. 

All in all she is a great role model to introduce Cordelia to- a character to help emphasis the good parts about her. It helps that she is blonde- Cordelia loves blondes best because she can see herself in them.



I used Kitschy Coo's little skater dress, this was my first time using the pattern and I loved it! I know why people rave about it soo much. I love that it is super easy and the whole look isn't costumey- it's totally park appropriate. However, next time (and there will be many next times) I will sew a smaller size because it turned out a little too big. My hubby tells me that it's just fine because she loves it and it will give her more time to wear it!  I up-cycled t-shirts for the fabric, and I added a cape (because capes add awesomeness, right?)

I worked really hard to finish this dress before we took our road trip and man I am sure glad I did because on our drive home we spotted this gem! Not often does Miss C get to meet her cousin while in costume! She was soooo thrilled she talked about it for at least an hour on our 8 hour drive home. 

We watched a bunch of  Super Girl videos to pump her up for this dress. She had so much fun posing and announcing that she was going to save the day- but the best part for her, was flying. 

Maybe all three year olds have split personalities, maybe it's just mine. Even though some days she is sweet as can be, some days she is more than a little rotten. A rotten trickster, just like Harley Quinn. I have to admit that I have a tendency to love villains over heroes- they always seem like the underdog. That thinking would probably have made me go crazy and fall in love with the Joker just like Harley did so it's a good thing I am married to a mostly normal, mostly sane guy! 



After showing Cordelia videos of Harley Quinn, anytime she would get a glimpse of her outfit she would beg to wear it. I don't think anything I have ever made has gotten this much excitement! Which is a little worrisome. . . I made a color blocked t-shirt with white neck and sleeve bands and I appliqued a diamond on one sleeve and on the front of the shirt- you can't see the one on the front when she wears it with the overalls but I wanted the shirt to be able to stand alone as well. For a pattern I used the little skater dress again just without the skirt. The overalls are self drafted and I love the way they turned out. 

The t-shirt is made of rib knit and the overalls are made of stretch poplin. I was really worried about the colors not being close enough, but in the end you can hardly tell! 

It was my brother's idea that we should do a hammer to go with her outfit but I had no idea how to even begin to make a hammer so I turned that project over to The Hubby and he ran with it. He made her such a cool hammer- I'm trying to figure out where in the house I can display it! It is a little too heavy for Cordelia to lift, but she loved it and made it work. If you live in Maryland you should totally check out the cool location for our photo shoot. It is brand new park with a super hero theme! This was our first trip there and we had a blast. 

Overall Cordelia loved both outfits, and they were tons of fun to make, so I call this a successful sewing adventure. Now you have to go check out the amazing things everyone else has made over on the Sew Geeky Blog- you won't regret it!

It was so much fun to sew a long with the ladies and I am dying over all of their projects! From left to right: Sew Chibi, Casa Crafty, Rae Gun Ramblings, Max California, Life of a Compulsive Crafter, The Crafty Kitty and not pictured but not any less awesome- American Kat.

And don't forget to link up any of your Marvel or DC related sewing!

5 comments:

  1. I love, love, love Harley Quinn's outfit! And the fact that your husband made a mallet.
    I'm glad to find a first time skater dress maker, I bought, printed, and thought about assembling the pattern, but haven't gotten around to it yet, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome hubby for committing to the photo shoot and making that mallet!! I reckon we should just add capes to everything! Both these outfits are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cease to amaze me - WONDERFUL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super girl is fab, bit Harley Quinn takes the cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS AMAZING It took me ages to try and figure out WHAT t-shirt you were talking about it because the overalls and the shirt look so seamless! I love both these outfits so much, i think I'm going to have to replicate them for Eddie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I read each and every one- sometimes more than once!