Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Dear Adeline


Dear Adeline, 

On your first birthday, I want to tell you that I have loved you since the very first moment I knew I carried you. I knew with every ounce of my being that you would bring our family so much joy-  that you were a missing piece meant to be with us.


Sure, the last year has been hard- harder than I ever could have imagined, but you my darling, you are wonderful. 


I am impressed by your strength- strength I felt when you were in the womb- I felt you kick and move, wiggle and twist. Your kicks were strong enough to make me stop in my tracks. Your entry to the world was a challenge and you fought every moment with me to be a part of it. I hope you are always this strong, this world needs strong women.


It's funny to say, but I like the way you view the world with caution and suspicion. Your sister bounds into life headfirst- she loves people with such faith in their goodness she is bound to get hurt- she will need you to temper her enthusiasm, just as you need her now to help break down your caution in new situations. 
  

I have been amazed that despite how suspicious you are in public you have always been loud and chatty at home. Even before you had words you had an incredible range of noises- and you can mimic almost any sound letting people know exactly what you want- and with great volume. 


You are also pretty funny, you love to dance- shaking your booty and waving your arms, and letting out the biggest laughs when you get tickled or when you blow raspberries on my belly.


Oh sweet Adeline, I wish I could keep you small forever, I so dearly love all of your baby kisses and constant hugs. I love how right now I can fix all of your problems, and even when it seems daunting and overwhelming- Mama can fix everything. 


But I know you can't stay small, every day this year I have watched you grow bigger, meet more milestones (always early), and loose more and more of your baby clumsiness. This past year we have watched you go from immobile to running! You climb stairs and stand on chairs (I really wish you wouldn't stand on chairs). You went from needing to nurse all the time to being the great consumer of...carbs...and sugar...with the occasional vegetable (you will get there with the veggies- I am sure)


You like to practice your fine moter skills by picking up every tiny toy/rock/choking hazard you can find in our less than toddler proof apartment. Right now you especially love putting things in other things- small toys inside cups and bowls, closing things in boxes, hiding things in cabinets. I am hoping that eventually this means you will like cleaning (I need at least one person in this house who helps without complaining). 


In addition to moving things around so I can't find them, you enjoy watching Sesame Street (you "sing" along with the theme song", drawing, and having books read to you. You like to walk next to the cart in the grocery store, and you scream with excitement and wave when you see the school bus. 


Adeline- Please love cats forever as much as you do right now- you get so excited you squeal and it melts my crazy cat lady heart. 


This year has also been Cordelia's first year as a sister- and she loves you as much as Papa and I love you, remember this, even when she yells at you and tells you to go away. Sisters are our best friend's forever- you will always have each other and don't let anything disrupt that. Love each other unconditionally, I always knew she needed you- and you need her just as much. 


Dear Adeline, Happy first birthday. Thank you for being part of our family. Thank you for keeping us smiling when the world seemed dark. Thank you for being our baby just when we needed you.

Love, 
Mama



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, I read each and every one- sometimes more than once!