Pages

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Straight Stitch Designs, Bryant Top


I took a break from testing patterns because life had just been so chaotic- and honestly while I was pregnant I was just too sick! I missed testing a lot because I am super motivated by deadlines, and I enjoy being part of the process. All of the designers I have worked with put so much time into drafting and perfecting their patterns and they really take into account the tester feedback- which I find wonderful. For full disclosure I did receive this pattern for free because my work testing it- but all of these opinions are my own.   

When Kimberly posted that she needed one more tester in my size I jumped at it- and honestly I hadn't even seen what design top she was working on! But truthfully I have that much faith in Kimberly, her ascetic, and the time she puts into her designs. My all time favorite t-shirt pattern was designed by her, and I figured no matter what the top was I would love it.     


This new top is named the Bryant, and it has such a wonderful effortless chic look to it. Designed for knit fabrics and cut on the bias it skims the figure nicely- which is a plus for me since I am still a little extra fluffy in the middle post baby- and lets be honest, I probably like cookies a bit too much to get rid of this extra fluff and I'm ok with that! 

The Bryant comes in sizes 0-24 (another thing I love about Straight Stitch Designs Patterns!) and it features two different sleeve lengths. Another thing that makes this pattern so versatile is the wide range of "looks" that can be achieved with the same pattern but different fabrics. I made my top in a size 18 (with no modifications) out of a sweater knit but other testers made this top in cotton lycra, crepe knit, rayon challis, jersey, rayon knit, ITY, ponte de roma, sweatshirt knit, and double brushed polly. To get a good idea of the variety check out the tester round up, and the blog post Kimberly wrote just to address fabric selection!   


I will admit that I was a tad nervous about the dolman sleeves since it's not a look I gravitate towards, but I am really happy with the fit on this and I am all about the cuff detail- which Kimberly says was a last minute detail added to the pattern. I'm really happy she went with her gut and added it! One tester- Maria made her Bryant with a contrasting fabric on her cuff and I absolutely love it! 


My one word of advice- and it's silly really, it make sure you stay stitch the neck! I am terrible and I skip stay stitching all the time...and I did this time (originally it was a suggestion in the pattern....Kimberly switched it to a MUST because of silly people like me) skipping that one little step really messed with how clean I was able to get the boat neck on my top- so don't be like me!  Besides that one little thing, I had a lot of fun sewing this top up, and I have now added a french terry version to my "to sew" list and I highly recommend this pattern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, I read each and every one- sometimes more than once!